Vinaora Nivo Slider

City Ordinances


Disorderly Conduct
Park Hours
Alcohol in Public Places
Open Burning


Q: Can I discharge a firearm within the Bellevue City limits?

A: NO. No person, except an officer of the law in the discharge of his duty, shall fire or discharge any gun, pistol, or fowling piece or other firearm within the city. Also, no person shall discharge or cause to be discharged any toy pistol, toy gun, toy cannon, air gun or any other arm, or arms, blank cartridge, or slingshot, loaded with rock or leaden or other dangerous missiles, at any time or under any circumstances within the city. This includes b.b. and pellet guns, in addition to paintball and air soft guns.

The City Council, as it deems appropriate, can approve the discharge of a firearm within the city limits for the purpose of a managed hunt.

Q: Do I need to register my gun with the Police Department?

A: Firearms do not have to be registered with the Bellevue Police Department, but registration is encouraged.

Q: Do I need a permit to purchase a handgun?

A: YES. Any person (who is 21 years of age or older and is not prohibited from purchasing or possessing a handgun by 18 U.S.C. 922), who intends to purchase, lease, rent, or receive transfer of a handgun shall apply with the chief of police or sheriff of the applicant's place of residence for a certificate.

Anyone interested in obtaining a permit from the Bellevue Police Department should come to the front desk of the main police station located at 2207 Washington Street. In addition to the required handgun certificate fee, applicants must also present a current Nebraska motor vehicle operator's license, state identification card, or military identification card.

Back to Top


Q: Can I shoot off fireworks in the City Of Bellevue?

A: No person shall possess, sell, offer for sale, bring into the city or discharge any fireworks other than permissible fireworks. Fireworks which are permissible under Bellevue City Ordinance are:

  • Sparklers
  • Vesuvius Fountains
  • Spray Fountains
  • Color Fire Cones
  • Star and Comet type color aerial shells without an explosive charge
  • Ladyfingers (not to exceed 7/8th of an inch in length or 1/8 of an inch in diameter)
  • Color or fire wheels

The use of fireworks by private citizens on private land is not restricted, with the exception of violations of the City's noise ordinance.

Back to Top


Q: Does the City of Bellevue have a curfew? What is it? What are the exceptions?

A: Yes. The City Of Bellevue has a strictly enforced curfew of 10:00 p.m. for anyone under the age of 18. No person under 18 years of age shall remain in or upon any street, alley or public place in the City of Bellevue at night after 10:00 p.m. unless the person is:

  • Accompanied by a parent, guardian or other person having legal custody of such minor person, or
  • Is going to or from some meeting or assemblage of lawful character, or
  • Is in the performance of an errand of duty, directed by parent, guardian or other person having the legal custody of such minor person, or
  • Whose employment makes it necessary to be upon the streets, alleys or public places during the night time after said specified hours.

Juveniles who are found to be in violation of curfew will be cited into juvenile court and will have their parents or guardians contacted. If no parent or guardian can be contacted, the juvenile will be taken to the Sarpy County Juvenile Justice Center and will remain there until they are released to a parent or guardian.

Back to Top


Q: What constitutes disorderly conduct?

A: The Bellevue Police are empowered to make sure that peace, quiet, and good order are maintained in the city. Consequently, there are certain actions which have been specifically outlawed by city ordinance to make this possible. In the City Of Bellevue, it shall be unlawful to disturb the peace and good order of the City:

  • By engaging in fighting or in violent, tumultuous, or threatening behavior;
  • By making clamor or noise;
  • By intoxication or public drunkenness;
  • By using obscene or profane language in the streets or other public places;
  • By lewd and lascivious behavior; or,
  • By otherwise engaging in indecent and disorderly conduct.

Back to Top


Q: Do the City parks have a closing time? What is it?

A: Unless otherwise provided and posted, all parks, playground areas, and cemeteries in the City shall be closed to the public from 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. daily.

Back to Top


Q: Can I consume alcohol in a public place? Are there exceptions?

A: Under City Ordinance, it shall be unlawful for any person to consume alcoholic liquors in the public parks, streets, alleys, parking areas, roads or highways, or inside vehicles while upon the public parks, streets, alleys, parking areas, roads or highways. Additionally, alcoholic liquors cannot be consumed upon any property owned by the state or any governmental subdivision thereof.

The City Council may authorize and issue a waiver for this ordinance for special occasions.

Back to Top


Q: Are open burns allowed within the City? What are the Regulations?

A: Burn barrels are prohibited within the Bellevue city limits. Small fires for cooking purposes (i.e. grills, cooking ring, outdoor fire place with cooking grates or underground cooking pits are allowed). Charcoal grills are not allowed on wooden decks of any multi-family dwelling (apartment complex).

The only materials that can be burned with a burn permit are trees, brush, weeds, garden waste, and natural vegetation. Burning of these materials shall be in small piles, and may be inspected at any time. Burning of manufactured wood, such as pallets, deck wood, or any type of structural materials; any type of paper, plastic, or rubber, or any types of vehicles or parts of vehicles are not allowed.

A burn permit must be obtained from the Bellevue Fire Department before any materials are burned. Burn permits can be obtained Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, at the District #1 Fire Station, 211 West 22nd Ave, Bellevue (directly behind City Hall) for a fee.

When burning with a permit, there must be a responsible person in attendance with a water supply adequate to put out the fire, if needed.

For further information or questions, please contact the Fire Investigator at (402) 293-3100.

Back to Top


Q: What are the rules regarding solicitors?

A: Solicitors are not allowed to be in and upon any private residence in the City unless they have been requested or invited to do so by the owner or occupant of such private residence. Solicitors are also required to be licensed by the City.

Back to Top